Director of Research and Professional Learning
Katie manages NCMPS Professional Learning courses, trainings, and workshops, and liaises with the educational research world.
Katie holds a PhD in urban education from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, where she studied outcomes for African American students in public Montessori schools. She is an adjunct faculty member at Whitworth University, where she teaches the Montessori Surround arc of graduate-level courses, and an adjunct researcher at the University of Kansas. Her recent research projects have focused on creativity, executive functions, and distance learning in Montessori schools during the COVID-19 pandemic. She also serves on the Breakthrough Montessori PCS Board of Trustees and the American Society Research Committee.
Katie has been working in Montessori since 2012, and with NCMPS since 2015. She also has the pleasure of being a Montessori parent. Katie lives in Cary, NC with her partner and two first-plane children.
- Brown, K. E., & Lewis, C. W. (2017). A comparison of reading and math achievement for African American third grade students in Montessori and other magnet schools. Journal of Negro Education, 86(4), 439-448.
- Debs, M, & Brown, K. E. (2017). Students of color and public Montessori schools: A review of the literature. Journal of Montessori Research, 3(1), 1-15.
- Brown, K. E., & Steele, A. S. L. (2015). Racial discipline disproportionality in Montessori and traditional schools: A comparative study using the Relative Rate Index. Journal of Montessori Research, 1(1), 14-27.
- Brown, K. (2016, March). Reading and math achievement for third grade African American students in public Montessori schools. Poster presented at the 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Montessori Society. Chicago, IL.
- Cossentino, J., & Brown, K. E. (2015). Assessing creativity and critical thinking in schools: Montessori as a holistic intervention Association Montessori Internationale Journal, 2014-2015, 229-232.
- Brown, K. E. (2015). Montessori programs in urban schools: Policy and possibilities.Charlotte, NC: The Urban Education Collaborative Research Clearinghouse.
- Brown, K. (2014). Montessori: An early childhood education model for urban schools. Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Urban Education (pp. 92-96). (Link to attached file, “ICUE Conference Proceedings”)